As unintended as the circumstances were, thank God it did.
I have alerted you in the past when higher personal priorities would affect this blog. Now, again, is such a time. Over the next several weeks I do not expect to have enough time to think and write this blog, at least to the standard I have asked of myself. I have personal issues that will demand my time and attention, and I'll also be working on upcoming stories for the Arizona Republic. The "Power Players" list will be updated every week. Sometimes there may be brief text to go along with it; sometimes there will be only the list. Quick thoughts and news alerts will come via Twitter -- @SpinDoctor500 . Thank you.
POWER PLAYERS for the week of September 6: This week's 10 most influential people in the Business and Politics of Motorsports, as selected by long-time journalist/publicist and industry insider Michael Knight.
3. Jamie McMurray, Ryan Newman and Jeff Gordon -- Plus Paul Menard and Clint Bowyer, needing a good finish at Richmond Saturday night to make the Chase on points and without a win.
6. Joe Gibbs -- His Sprint Cup teams have won six of the last eight races, including Darlington with Carl Edwards.
7. Dave Moody -- SiriusXM NASCAR radio afternoon drive-time host adds Monday segments on Fox Sports 1's NASCAR Race Hub, simulcast on TV and radio.
8. Erica Enders-Stevens -- Time for national media to give defending NHRA Pro Stock class champ some pub. She had three holeshots to take U.S. Nats.
9. Ken Adelson -- TV production veteran becomes NHRA's broadcasting and digital content VP and will be executive producer for NHRA-produced Fox Sports shows next season. Adelson will be the one crafting what fans will see.
10. Shane Cockrum -- Second consecutive win in the USAC Silver Crown Ted Horn 100 at the DuQuoin State Fairgrounds.
[ more next week . . . ]