POWER PLAYERS for the week of August 30: This week's 10 most influential people in the Business and Politics of Motorsports, as selected by long-time journalist/publicist and industry insider Michael Knight.
4. Don Schumacher -- NHRA's most successful team owner dismisses Countdown eligible driver Spencer Massey from his Top Fuel ride for undisclosed violation of team policy. This one week before the Big Go, the U.S. Nationals. Khalid alBalooshi gets the ride for Indy.
5. Mark Miles -- IndyCar season is over but now Hulman Racing CEO must finalize 2016 schedule, get Honda renewed and settle its request to redesign part of its aero kit, replace racing boss Derrick Walker, etc., etc. etc.
7. Steve O'Donnell -- NASCAR's racing development chief goes back to low-downforce rules package for Southern 500 at Darlington Speedway.
8. Jim Campbell -- Chevrolet's racing boss takes IndyCar engine manufacturers' title.
9. Courtney Force -- Winless this season, the NHRA Funny Car class needle-mover likely needs to win U.S. Nationals to qualify for the championship Countdown.
10. Jeff Gordon -- His last Darlington start coincides with his need for a win to qualify for NASCAR's Chase in his farewell season.
[ more next week . . . ]