Thursday, August 06, 2009

TONY SCHUMACHER MAKES NEWS on MY SHOW

Tony Schumacher made news as my Newsmaker guest on Wednesday night's The Race Reporters radio show on PowerUpChannel.com. The six-time NHRA Full Throttle Top Fuel champion spoke out on trying to win another title without crew chief Alan Johnson, new crew chief Mike Green's plan to have the best car during the Countdown, and what he's learned by being around U.S. Army soldiers during a time of war. Dave Kallmann, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel; Susan Wade, of National Speed Sport News; and Jon Asher, of CompetitionPlus.com, joined me in the questioning. U.S. Army dragster driver Schumacher is currently second in points with three wins.

Wade wrote the following story for CP.com on what Tony said and here's the link:
http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11235&Itemid=6

Here's what Schumacher said he's learned from being around Army soldiers:

"When AJ (Alan Johnson) left is a perfect example. Everyone said, 'You know what, when a general retires, we don't wave the white flag and give up. We hire a new general , and we smile, and we go kick butt.' That's exactly the kind of comments, what I get day in-and-day-out, from these great people. I enjoy it more than people could ever imagine. Surrounding yourself with great people, and it's my pleasure to win for them. I also get to be part of something a lot bigger than myself. As people start to get to know me, they find out, when AJ left, people said: 'What are you going to do now? You're never going to win.' I said, 'Really? I've got a beautiful wife and three beautiful kids. I win every day.' My life doesn't revolve around having to win. It revolves around having to figure out how to win and enjoy the challenge. That comes from those soldiers. It's the greatest thing I've ever been a part of."

Use this link to listen to the entire show:
http://va.radiopilot.net/voiceamerica/vepisode.aspx?aid=40235

The Race Reporters podcast is available on iTunes:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=319558548

Upcoming guests:

August 12 -- Newsmakers: Vicki O'Connor (Atlantic series), John Doonan (Mazda), Clark Campbell (VW). Panelists: Jeremy Shaw, Mike Kerchner, Jamie Reynolds.

August 19 -- Newsmaker: Brian Wolfe (Ford North America motorsports director). Panelists: Dustin Long, Larry Henry, Bob Margolis.

August 26 -- Newsmaker: Ashley Force Hood. Panelists: Holly Cain, Jeff Wolf, Bobby Bennett.

[ more next Tuesday . . . ]