Wednesday, September 02, 2009

LOGANO GRADES HIMSELF

Joey Logano was the Newsmaker guest on tonight's The Race Reporters show on PowerUpChannel.com. Mark Armijo (Arizona Republic) joined me in the questioning and John Sturbin (RacinToday.com) was part of the journalists' roundtable.

NASCAR's top rookie (19th in Sprint Cup points with one win) was asked if he's satisfied with the progress he's making, and what grade he'd give his performance (according to NASCAR stats, Joey's average starting and finishing position is the same -- 20.6):

"I didn't know that stat. I think that, compared to what we had at the beginning of the year, compared to now, is night-and-day better. We made one real big step from the beginning of the season until now, and we've got one more to go. As we got to tracks for the second time this season, everything seems to be getting a lot better . . . I never think about what I would grade myself. At the beginning of the season, it wouldn't be good at all. It definitely wasn't where we needed to be. Now, maybe a B. We're coming along. For me, I'm never going to be satisfied . . . Never being satisfied is something that got me to this point."

Click this link to hear the entire show, including Logano's comments on having Kyle Busch as a teammate, and the unprecedented expectations placed on him coming into NASCAR:
http://www.modavox.com/voiceamerica/vepisode.aspx?aid=40779

Upcoming show guests:

September 9 -- Newsmaker: Scott Pruett. Panelists: John Oreovicz, Jeremy Shaw, Jim Pedley.

September 16 -- Newsmaker: Lee White. Panelists: Matt Yocum, Peter De Lorenzo.

September 23 -- Newsmaker: Jeg Coughlin Jr. Panelists: Alan Reinhart, Mike Kerchner, Jeff Burk.

[ more next Tuesday. . . ]