Tuesday, May 12, 2009

'THE RACE REPORTERS' RADIO SHOW LAUNCHES WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3 ON POWERUPCHANNEL.COM



As I wrote in Blog One -- July 10, 2006 -- my hope was this on-going series of postings would be an exercise in mutual learning. My version of "The Great Adventure," which is how Paul Newman described Nigel Mansell's move from Formula One to CART in 1993.

It's time to take the next step.

Beginning Wednesday, June 3, I'll debut as host/managing editor of The Race Reporters, a weekly one-hour Internet radio show on http://voiceamerica.com/ 's new http://powerupchannel.com/ 's motorsports channel. The show (at least for this 13-week pilot run) will always be live on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Eastern. You'll be able to listen by clicking on the show icon at the Power Up site. The techno-wizards also tell me the program will re-air 12 hours later, be available for "on-demand" listening, and you'll also be able to download it into an iPod. (Look for the above show banner!)

Voice America is the country's largest producer and distributor of Internet radio programming. I'll be hosting the show from their studio in Tempe, Ariz. The Power Up channel (I'm also a consulting senior executive producer) launches June 1. I'm happy to say my friend Larry Henry is bringing his Pit Pass USA to the channel, starting Tuesday, June 2, at 7 p.m. (EDT).

I was given the opportunity to create a show of my choosing. So, I'll bring together a panel of two or three journalists for a good, hard, honest, Constitutionally-protected conversation on the issues of the day. My goal is to ask good questions -- and get better answers. It will not be a forum for bomb-throwing. A few days ago, I heard a host on the ESPN affiliate in Phoenix say this about his approach to his show: "When in doubt, speculate." That's another thing we will not do. (!)

I intend to include many voices -- not the elites-only philosophy of certain shows -- because I believe there are a lot of interesting and informative reporters who aren't offered an op elsewhere to share their views and knowledge.

I'll select a Newsmaker of the Week, who will join us at the bottom of the hour, and the panelists will join in the questioning. You can expect the Newsmaker will include guests from virtually all the important series: NASCAR, NHRA, IRL, road racing and other tours, as well as key industry executives.

Here's the format: In the first segment, I'll speak to what I think is important that week, bringing to the assignment my 40 years of experience in the industry. In segment two, the media panel will join me. Segment three will be the Newsmaker. We'll conclude our discussion in segment four.

I'll be announcing guests here, in advance, but please go ahead and note this special show: On Wednesday, June 24, The Race Reporters will mark the publication of National Speed Sport News' 75th anniversary issue that day. Chris Economaki will be the Newsmaker, with Corinne Economaki, Dave Argabright and Susan Wade the media panelists.

Yes, of course, commercial spots are available. Contact Stefani Paulus at stefani@powerupchannel.com .


Please join me as we continue "The Great Adventure" -- and learn more about the sport and industry.


I'll make my first visit to Miller Motorsports Park this weekend for the ALMS race and various supporting events.

Here's a link to my May "All Business" column in Drag Racing Online.com. It's the first of a two-part series on the issues surrounding ESPN2's coverage of NHRA: http://www.dragracingonline.com/columns/knight/xi_5-1.html . (Be sure to click on the "next page" bottom at bottom of right-hand corner.)

[ more next Tuesday . . . ]